Sunday 2 October 2016

vYacht Wifi Gateway installed - error Code 18*

I installed the vYacht wifi router last night and the basics appear to work fine, though I could not get the AIS targets to display at all.   (keep reading)   This will have to wait for spring.

iNavx on iPad air, with vYacht-supplied data correctly placing Windstar in the parking lot.

The vYacht wifi  is a wireless/wired router for your NMEA/Seatalk electronics network.   Produced by Bernd Ocklin of Sweden, this device is a product of the open source/dedicated hobbyist community in the marine electronics space.   Very cool, very "open" and configurable, and substantially less expensive that other devices of its  type.  This may come at a price, as other owners have struggled with some of the tweaking required.  We shall see.

Getting the vYacht operational took much less time than fixing the ancient laptop and Windows 7 driver bugs that plagued my actisense NGT-1 install.
  • connect "home run " 12vdc wiring to the panel.  (meaning, do not run off the n2k network's power)
  • power it up, make sure it works by observing the power LEDs and the wifi led and ensuring you can open the router's application.
  • Power down. 
  • Connect your network devices. 
  • Power up.
  • Configure your applications to recognize the connection.
The instructions require only basic Swedish but are just OK for the barely-technical.
When I first powered up, I looked for sign of life from the requisite LEDs, (power and wifi)  then noted in the instructions that they were actually on the circuit board, inside the enclosure.   I could see no screws holding the lid onto the enclosure so I figured it must just snap in place, so I carefully (sort of) yanked it off, and in doing so I also yanked the tiny connection from the chip to the antenna. (YIKES!!!)   Thankfully I did not damage it.
Then, while happily observing that the wifi and power lights were working, I noticed several other LEDs labelled for each NMEA device input. (Cool - you can verify when it is receiving data!) I powered down and connected to the network.
The "other" LEDs emitted no light.   Nothing.   :-(
Checked several things, and eventually figured out that I had wired the STNG Lo and Hi in reverse.  (erroneous drawing downloaded)
Fixed that and still no lights.  (Aargh.   Why isn't it receiving data?)   I eventually stumbled on the "instruments" link in the firmware that showed I was indeed receiving NMEA data on my iPad.  (via Signal K, an open protocol which this device supports.)  But.... no lights.  Weird.
I kept exploring options and apps and then happened to notice this, hidden in the box.  (Yes, it's RED, and yes, it has only three sentences, and yes, they are in large print...)  
Maybe Berndt could hire the folks from IKEA to write his instruction manual for people like me?
So, I tested both the vYacht and my Actisense NGT-1 and was able to read NMEA data on the ipad through the vYacht wifi, and could read NMEA data on the laptop through USB, Ethernet, or wifi.  I could not get the AIS data to display via any means, though the data is there and can be seen on both my ICOM VHF (the AIS receiver)  and my Raymarine i70 display.  (it had slipped my mind that that since the boat was on the hard, and the mast on the rack, I had no VHF antenna and therefore no AIS data.  Why do I make this so difficult?)   Latest update is that the NGT-1 works flawlessly, not so the vyacht.  Yet.
I have since found a number of apps that look really interesting.  There is quite a revolution underway!
iSailor looks great, slick, modern interface, there is a signalK instrument and AIS app, EDO instruments, many many others.

*  error code 18  - computer errors originating approximately 18" in front of the screen.



3 comments:

  1. Nicely done. In places, this reads as though I could have written it. :>) I found Berndt easy to deal with when I had to send the router back to Sweden but four or five months later when I got it back, he was no longer willing to answer questions. Thankfully, I also have the NGT-1 for back up and yes, it work flawlessly.

    Cheers!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: The Vyacht has been yanked from my vessel. It was failing to transmit lat and lon correctly. Bernd is not interested in figuring it out and I'm not interested in being lost at sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long delay in publishing this - to be fair to Berndt, I had a problem with AIS and it was fixed with a firmware upgrade and some patience on my part. EDO instruments appears to be gone...

      Delete

Comments and corrections welcome!