Monday 7 December 2015

Filling the void - too cold or too hot?

After consultation with others I elected tous polyester laminating resin, (AOC Altek HDA-596)   with colloidal silica and long strand chopped glass.  I was able to mix 1 gal at a time, and learned to time the pour so that each gallon could use the considerable heat from the previous gallon's cure to hasten its own cure.  I mixed 1% catalyst to resin.     I mixed the resin with 1% catalyst and was very lucky to have  warm weather into December.The entire job took 15 US gallons of resin and about 6kg of chopped glass (plus a bunch of scrap fabric and other glass I had kicking around.  This weights approximately 150lb, the same as what I removed (slightly more I would guess...) but is much more solid, and should absorb less water.  
Yes.  Messy
Resin heavily loaded with glass.
My boatbuilder Dad  and others suggested I simply use concrete to fill this space, and I could not bring myself to do it for some reason, the additional 130-180 lbs being part if it, vague concerns about adhesion being another.  In the end, I think it may be an excellent choice, possibly the best, and would certainly be less expensive.

  Trial fitting 

Ground to slightly undersized, with beveled edges, and fitted flush at the same height as built.



Epoxied in place with a dime for luck - Canadian of course, the Bluenose visible.  

the worst is over!






1 comment:

  1. I just bought a C&C 33 Mk 1 -- I'm afraid this might be in my future. Thanks for sharing Windstar's story. It is really helpful to other owners to see what you did and the decisions you made. Thanks. Peter

    ReplyDelete

Comments and corrections welcome!