Sunday 23 October 2016

Mainsail specification, rig photos, dimensions, details

Mainsail Deliberations

After much thought, research, and sound advice, I would modify my intended use to read:

I value the 33-2's performance, and enjoy getting the most I can out of the boat.  In the past I had not paid much attention to the finer points of sail trim, however in researching this mainsail purchase, I have realized that I would very much enjoy a well designed, "tunable" mainsail, and would like to learn how to optimize sail shape.  
That said, most of my sailing here on Lake Ontario will be for pleasure, daysailing or short cruises,  either single-handed or effectively so.  I will likely look for some recreational racing opportunities and at some point would like to try distance racing, but not at an ultra-competitive level.   I don't want to buy another main for this boat in the next decade.

The parameters for my new main are also becoming more clear. I believe the mainsail features most appropriate for my use are:

  • Cross-cut construction (radial optional, not really necessary)
  • top quality, low stretch dacron
  • Loose footed
  • luff slides 
  • 4 partial battens or 2+4 full/partial.  
  • two sets reef points. 
  • Cunningham
  • telltales
  • 2-3 draft stripes
  • Sail no 34760 - blue
  • C&C logo?
I welcome any suggestions.

Factory sailplan can be found here:   

Preferred Details (alternative suggestions welcome)


How the reefing lines will be rigged.   Do I really need a block at the clew?

Reefing tack - The previous sail was a Type A.  Worked great I thought.

Not sure what to do with the Cunningham, but the gooseneck fitting has two fairleads that look like candidates for this use.   


Windstar's measured dimensions

Luff - masthead sheave to top of boom:  39' 7"
Luff - top of black tape on mast to top of boom: 39' 1"
Foot - end of boom extrusion to back of mast: 138" 
Foot - end of black tape boom to back of mast:  135"  
Tack back - top of boom to centre of current tack shackle: 1 1/4"
Tack up - aft edge of mast to centre of current tack shackle:  7/8"
Reefing hook - aft edge of mast to underside of reefing hook:  approx 2"
Reefing hook - height from top of boom: approx 2"
Sail slide gate - bottom of gate to top of boom:  10 3/4"


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and corrections welcome!