Tuesday 18 May 2021

Hull buffing and prep for fresh Graphics

May 2021, and a covid-related launch delay provided and extra four weeks to tackle some work, so I elected to replace the tired decals with new, and to polish, wax and buff the hull properly.     I'd never really committed to mastering this in the past.   





I asked an expert friend for direction and he provided the three points below.   

1)      Wash the hull sides with soapy water and a brush.  Use a healthy dose of Dawn dish detergent for the soap.  You will be amazed how much oxidization this removes.  Dawn is very harsh.  Do use it other than as a stripping wash

[I found that the gelcoat was raised where the letters had been adhered.   A weird but common phenomenon.  Google it.    This area required some wet sanding and I finally landed on a progression of 600-800-1500 grits.  After the 1500, a rubbing compound is required prior to commencing the next step.   The rubbing compound was also required to freshen the oxidized boot stripes.  I used a cheap palm buffer for this with its sponge pad.]

2)      Use Meguiar’s Marine / RV Oxidation Remover (M4916) and apply it with a wool bonnet on a variable speed buffer (DeWalt, Makita or Porter-Cable).  I have a Makita.  Buff off left over dust with a soft microfiber cloth.

        I bought industry standard Makita and its great for this and will last my lifetime.   

3)      Use Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax and apply it with a soft foam polishing pad on a variable speed buffer.  Buff off by hand with a plush microfiber cloth.

[I found the Makita was getting heavy and that working overhead and on a ladder all day was a  a tiring struggle.  I tried my WEN 10 orbital waxer with a terrycloth pad and got a much better result for applying the wax, very even and predictable.)   


First two - Ready for launch - awaiting decals.


Others, the work in progress. 










 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and corrections welcome!