Sunday 24 January 2021

Bimini mods for Solar Panel

Fools rush in where angels fear to thread.

The solar panel project has progressed but with an unexpected DIY turn or two, driven by Covid-19 and the difficulty finding local marine canvas people.   After having trouble getting a response from several such Canvasistas, I decided that I'd take a chance on a bargain-priced industrial sewing machine on Kijiji and give it a shot myself.  Naturally, the machine became its own project,  but with some cleaning and adjustment and a few small repairs it works fine.  (Update - I replaced the obsolete monster clutch motor with a modern servo motor- if you are contemplating the same  don’t hesitate.)   It's a walking foot model and is rather mighty.  I can now join the local  marine canvas fraternity!  I too can create a website offering my services, and then ignore any email inquiries I might receive!

Upgraded motor is a ‘sewquiet’ from Reliable Sewing’ in Toronto.



The approach to panel mounting was inspired by the approach taken at the link below (Great site!)

https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-solbian-semi-flexible-solar-panel/

 I purchased some materials.  

https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/

I checked out a few useful videos from Sailrite on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailriteDIY/videos

For background, Here's the prior post on this solar project. 

https://cncwindstar.blogspot.com/2020/09/4-chargers-controllers-and-monitoring.html

Finally after procrastinating awhile I overcame my fear of the unknown and tackled the project. 

Industrial Velcro (from Amazon)  - strong stuff!




For the rest, he photos tell the story:







Almost done.   Still required is the velcro on the top perimeter of the solar panel that will hold the folded lapels in place, and a bit of tweaking to permit the cables to be routed down the exterior of the bimini frame.  Am now imagining a pile of  clever canvas projects, and am contemplating the addition of another panel on my dodger.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and corrections welcome!