Saturday 30 January 2021

New Sheaves?

 The bronze bushings in these sheaves were worn when I acquired Windstar and I was able to re-bush them fairly easily,   They are in good shape and spin freely with little play.  I grease and inspect them annually 

They have two grooves indicating that they were originally intended for wire-to-rope halyards, and as you can see, the wire groove is very shallow.  

It is often stated that when transitioning to all-rope halyards, that sheaves must be replaced with an appropriate type, presumably without any wire groove. 

My now all-rope main halyard is wearing somewhat after 4 seasons or so and I should probably replace it..   

 The main halyard is the largest of  the 5 lines that pass over the masthead sheaves, and is as large an OD as the sheave can accommodate.   It is also the most often used.  When Windstar is docked, the halyard is attached to the end of the boom.  It will be more active than the others even in repose, so may be more subject to chafe.

Is the halyard wear I'm seeing a result of this shallow groove in the sheave, the diameter of the halyard, or is it simply normal wear? 

If I should replace the sheave, can anyone suggest a source and type?









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and corrections welcome!